How often should I have massage?
Massage and Chiropractic are very similar in that getting a massage can do you a world of good. And getting massage and chiropractic treatments frequently can do even more. Taking part in regularly scheduled self-care can play a huge part in how healthy you’ll be and how youthful you’ll remain. Budgeting time and money for Massage and Chiropractic treatments at consistent intervals is truly an investment in your health. Consider these appointments a necessary piece of your health and wellness plan, and work with your practitioner to establish a treatment schedule that best meets your needs.
Remember, massage has its greatest benefits over time. The therapeutic effects of massage are cumulative, so the more often a person gets a massage, the better he or she will feel and the more quickly one’s body will respond. If you are getting massage to address chronic muscular tension or recovery from a soft tissue injury, more than one session is usually needed, so be prepared to schedule several sessions.
Benefits of Massage
- Pain relief: Relief from pain due to musculoskeletal injuries and other causes is one of the major benefit of massage.
- Increased Range of Motion- many people notice decreased stiffness to do less muscle tension and increased blood flow.
- Reduced Stress: Massage has been shown to reduce anxiety, and increase relaxation. Something all of us need a little more of these days.
- Blood pressure and heart rate: Massage has been shown to reduce blood pressure and heart rate as temporary effects.
- Attention: After massage, you may notice an increased awareness and focus with the effects perhaps being mediated by decreased stress hormones.
- Immunity: Massage may also stimulates the immune system by increasing lymphocytic flow.
I just got a massage…now what?
So you just got a massage. You’ve been told all sorts of things to do after you leave to keep yourself in tip top condition after your massage, but most of it just went in one ear and out the other. We thought we would give you a refresher.
Having a massage, especially a deep tissue massage, is a form of passive exercise, as hard as that may be to believe, and you need to take care of yourself as if you have just exercised. You don’t want to ruin that relaxed high you’re on right now, do you? Since you were too relaxed to hear or listen, let me give you some information and rules to follow.
- Drink Lots Of Water, Especially For The Next 24 Hours – this is perhaps the most important rule of all. Rehydration is key to a healthy body, especially after a massage. Since massage promotes lymphatic movement, drinking water and hydrating yourself is key to moving toxins out of the body.
- Take A Bath – A nice warm bath is very soothing after a massage, particularly with Epsom Salts. Epsom Salts are just Magnesium Sulfate, which is a natural muscle relaxer. They are also wonderful at drawing out toxins in the body, as is massage, so you may get a sort of detoxifying effect which is very beneficial to the body. You can get Epsom Salts at most grocery stores or pharmacies.
- Pay Attention To Your Body’s Reaction To The Massage – You may be sore after the massage. This is normal with Deep Tissue massage, but it can happen with the more gentle Swedish Massage as well. Sometimes you may not feel the soreness until the next day. Why? Well, as mentioned before, massage is a sort of passive exercise. If you are not one to get massages often, or do not exercise and are not used to using the muscles, then they may respond with soreness.
- Rest– You may feel tired, as if you want to lie down and take a nap. This is completely normal, and you should listen to your body. If you can, make sure you have nowhere to go and nothing to do after your massage. Massage is not just work on the body; it is work on the mind too. It helps to destress and relax you; this in turn may make you feel tired
As you can see, there aren’t that many rules to follow, but it’s important that you do! Following the above rules will help you to get so much more benefits out of your massage and your presence of mind will be that much more peaceful and invigorated. Always remember, if you have any questions whatsoever, be sure to call us. We are here for you to help you to heal and to get the most out of your session that you can get.